College Planning Resources

College Search and Scholarship Resources

  • ​​Big Future
    • This site is managed by the SAT/College Board, you can create an account to save your searches
    • It has very detailed filter options to allow you to identify what is important to you in a college
    • There is a Paying for College link with a scholarship search tool
  • Niche
    • Click on the College Link
    • You can put in a variety of different search criteria (i.e. size, tuition, major, etc. ) to help you identify colleges that match your interests
    • This site ranks colleges-you may wish to focus on what is offers and how it will best serve you, before considering rank
  • Oregon Goes to College
    • This site provides general information on the college application process and financial aid
    • It has links to scholarship databases and Oregon specific scholarships
    • It shares resources for different student population such as first generation, undocumented students, LGBTQ students in the Who Can Go to College tab
  • Opportunities Guide and Workbook
    • Offers a variety of resources, one of the most helpful may be the yearly planning checklists to prepare for the college application process. 

SAT/ACT Information

Beaverton and Tigard/Tualatin offer a free ACT test to juniors in the Winter/Spring, you will receive details in the months prior to the test with details and registration information. If you do not want to test with your home high school or if you wish to do additional testing, you will sign up directly through the College Board (SAT) or through the ACT website. 



Test Prep Resources:

Financial Aid

Students cannot qualify for financial aid while they are in ECHS, but should begin the application process during their senior year to qualify for financial aid upon graduation from ECHS

    • Free application for Federal Student Aid-This is the official application to be considered for federal grants, loans, and work study. Even if you/your family will not qualify for federal aid, some colleges/universities use this information to determine institutional aid.
      • Application opens October 1
    • Financial aid application for Oregon residents who are undocumented, or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS). Students who are unable to complete the FAFSA may complete the ORSAA
      • Application opens October 1
  • OSAC
    • The Office of Student Access and Completion helps Oregonians plan and pay for college by providing scholarships and other financial aid resources. The OSAC scholarship houses about 600 scholarships that students can apply for using one application
  • Oregon Promise
    • This state-funded program may pay for community college tuition for 90 credits at an Oregon community college; Applicants must file a FAFSA and achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.5 by graduation. Credits earned through ECHS count toward the 90 credits.
  • Federal Student Aid
    • A comprehensive site for information about financial aid. 
    • FAFSA4Caster is a tool you can use as an estimate for how much financial aid you may be eligible for. The information from the FAFSA4Caster is for your information only, it is not shared with the FAFSA
  • WUE
    • For students interested in applying to out-of-state colleges, WUE (the Western Undergraduate Exchange) may offer the opportunity to pay 150% of instate tuition as opposed to out-of-state tuition. Individual public colleges set the qualifying WUE criteria.


College Admissions FAQs

  1. Do I apply as a Freshman or Transfer Student?
    1. If you are applying for the Fall immediately following graduation, you will apply as a Freshman. The majority of colleges/universities will accept most of your credits and you will enter with Sophomore or Junior standing. 
  2. How do I know if my credits will transfer?
    1. Check with the colleges you are applying to or your ECHS counselor for guidance.
  3. What GPA do I use? High school or college?
    1. You will use our cumulative high school GPA, weighted or unweighted depending on what the college/scholarship requests. 
  4. How do I get my transcript?
    1. High School-ECHS counselors can provide electronic high school transcripts. Many college will accept electronic transcripts we provide as official. Some colleges/scholarships (OSU for example) require a mailed official transcript. Students need to request official paper transcripts from their home high school. 
    2. PCC-You can access your official and unofficial PCC transcript through you MyPCC account. 

College Essay Writing Resources

Letters of Recommendation

Counselors are happy to write a letter of recommendation for you. To help your counselor write the best letter please complete and submit the following documents. You must submit your request and completed documents three weeks prior to the due date. 

Please read the letter of recommendation instructions prior to completing and submitting your documents. 

Required Documents:

  1. Letter of Recommendation Packet
  2. Awards and Activities Resume
  3. Release of Information

Optional Documents:

  1. Parent/Guardian Comments
  2. Outside Recommendation Form